Friendly Reminder

Students, remember to use first names only when posting. No other personal information should be included in your post. Anyone in the world can read what you write.

Visitors to our site are welcome to leave comments. Inappropriate comments will not be posted.

Student work belongs to the students. Please do not copy it. Feel free to link to it.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Place Value

Is it hard to read big numbers?  Tell me how you break numbers down and read them.

16 comments:

weston said...

I know that you can write the numbers out on a piece of paper. You can listen to the place value rap song and you can tell the number by its groups because there’s a comma after each group. There’s thousands, millions, billions and other groups.

Kevin said...

It is easy to break numbers downs and read them. We work on ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, hundred,thousands, million, ten millions, hundred millions. I sometimes need a little help. We sing the Place Values Rap song to help us with the place values.

alan said...

Big numbers are easy if you know your digits. It is not hard at all. All you have to do is remember your digits and were it place is at. You have to know ones tens hundred thousand millions. Some numbers are easy to read and some are not. On each place value spot you need a coma. Place value spot are simple because its in order for you.

Rider said...

I look at where the commas are at. Then I sing a little song so I know how much it is like this ,ones, tens, hundreds thousands, ten thousands, hundred thousands, millions, ten millions, hundred millions, billions, ten billions, hundred billions. I read the numbers by looking at 1 though 3 numbers then add the hundreds thousands or millions and billions.

McClay said...

It is easy to read big numbers. I find the hundred place then I find the thousands place then the millions place and this makes it easier to read bigger numbers. The place value rap song helps me read bigger numbers.

Tychelle said...

It is hard to read big numbers because there are a lot of numbers and I can’t read a lot of numbers in less they have commas. When I read big numbers and they don’t have the commas all I have to do is sing a song that my teacher taught me and it is called the place value rap when I sing that it helps me read big numbers. One more thing is when I read big numbers I have to take my time and read them carefully so I mess up the numbers.

giancarlo said...

Breaking numbers are kind of hard. I know how to break the number it is easy. Just sing the place value song there are one, tens, hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, hundred thousands, million, ten million, hundred million those numbers are in the place value.

Gracie said...

Is it hard to read big numbers. There is a lot of numbers. It is hard to explain the numbers. It is hard to spell the numbers. I can’t say the numbers because of the numbers. I break them down by the millions to the thousands to the hundred to the 10’s and the 1’s. If I read them fast I mess up.

Preston said...

It is not harsh if you make it tough you panic. but the comas tells you what place it goes.

Lidia said...

When you think that number is hard well think again just break them like compound ok first com and then pound put Then all together and you’ll get compound easy just don’t make to hard like my teacher say Your making it so hard or like together some people think it’s hard to write it or say the word well just break the word down just to-get-her know you got together know let’s go to commas mean to stop like a parried stop when your reading if you go fast you won’t understand what your saying.

Adan said...

Some numbers are hard to read and some are easy to read. I used my ones, millions, ten thousands, thousands, hundred thousand. We heard a song about place values. In each numbers had commas. You have to know about your place value. Place value is simple for me and some people. It is easy because I practice. It is fun to do place value.

Eric said...

It is not hard to do hard numbers. I think it is easy to do numbers if you break it down and it is easy for me now. But it was hard for me but now it is easy.

Aubrey said...

I use the comas most often when it comes to numbers because it makes it easy for me. Numbers are easy because I know that if you break the numbers up it makes it easy. Numbers are not hard at all if you break them down. It is easy. It is not hard I just use the place value rap song.

Axel said...

It is not hard because there is a song call the place value rap. The place value rap show you how to read big numbers.

Estrellita said...

It is not hard to read big numbers. It is so easy to read big numbers and I can make big numbers, making big numbers is easy all you have do is…
What I did was lessen to Mrs. Cook and I made it easier and the song Mrs. Cook let’s us see all the time.

Savannah said...

It is not hard to read big numbers If you take the time and insert the commas.Here is a clue on where to put those commas, you start at the ones place and you count three numbers to the left, when you get to the third number you put a comma in between. When you have done that here is one more clue, if you’ve done that and you have three more do not put a comma in front of the number because it would not be right for example if you’ve got the number 483,936,100,089 and you write it like this
,483,936,100 then if it was homework you would get it back and it will have a grade you would get a F-. I learned a song called Place Value Rap it tells you all about numbers.